Tuesday 8 March 2016

Scenes from a farewell

The much awaited D-day came and stirred many an emotion and unfolded all the classroom razzmatazz for one last time with a pinch of nostalgia. The day was marked by forging the final set of memories constituting the college life. The many memories of getting away with notoriety and loud talks, because one is still considered to be in a learning phase, then, laughing without a care in the world, bright smiles, and the bare hugs shall refuse to fade away for the longest time, and will always hold proof to the fact that good times don't last forever.

Surprisingly, I did not realize that my college life was almost behind me till I was at the farewell. And should I mention just how thrilled I was being there! It was an evening where I rewinded the time to when I first entered the college, directionless, with a set of pre-conceived notions about being in an environment of the grown-ups. I always fancied the idea of a farewell since I was a child. Seeing pictures of people gleefully posing in graduation robes never failed to mesmerize me. And now, it was my time to don one, ready to be catapulted into the big world. In some way, the farewell validates our ability to take over bigger challenges in life. So it was quite ironic for me to think ''Why is it all over?'', when my dream was coming true. For once, I just wanted to hold onto everything happening around me. Yes, I wanted to hold onto that time, I wanted to exhaust myself into talking about the days gone by and how much I was taking back from the college. The college that turned my doubts into certainties, my vulnerable streaks into formidable ones, my risks into challenges, and my passion into my strength should never know of grudges and complaints. Today, all I wish for is to strive towards never failing my very-soon-to-be alma mater.

The farewell took place on a Saturday evening, which meant that I had ample time to enhance my vanity. Many outfits were changed and frowned upon before settling down for the one which suited best for the occasion. The hours following up to the prosperous evening bore witness to my excitement and many hushed whispers about the big celebration. My Whatsapp chats with friends were flooded with pictures and ideas about the perfect dress for the evening and the anxiety within everyone to get the perfect look was palpable. The anxiety within me died down only when I reached the venue before time. I was advised from home to ensure that I had enough storage on my phone to save the countless selfies that I ended up taking. Being in a gathering of 1500 odd students meant that we would be overdosing on smiles and chirpy laughter that evening. While a lot of us were buzzing with talks of future plans and goals, some just decided to let their emotional streak get the better of them. And while future options and plans were being discussed, there were a few who were certain about where they saw themselves in a few years, while some restricted themselves to talking about their immediate academic goal. The one thing that remained constant throughout the evening was a satisfactory smile across 1500 faces. And that had to be inevitable, given the first big step towards success had been attained. On the one hand, where the student committee members were running helter-skelter to manage the proceedings of the evening, the rest were going berserk over the EDM music that was blaring. And there was no way anyone could get away without getting crashed by a multitude of high-on-graduation students. Sometimes, mobile phones can wreak havoc at social dos, where every other person in a group is only interested in taking pictures and selfies in every corner of the venue, posing with every mortal, like they are a rare commodity. Much to my surprise, I acknowledged quite a few classmates only in pictures on my phone, as it turned out that I was engrossed in posing and photobombing. Such is life, these days!

A couple of decades down the line, I wish to remember this life as vividly as I can, just to be able to tell my grandchildren that glorious moments may not find permanence in life, but they always live on in the memory of time. And this farewell shall never be forgotten, as till I will know life, I shall call myself a proud graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment