Wednesday 11 January 2017

All you need to know about Facebook

It was a Friday evening, and my excitement levels had hit rock bottom as none of my evening plans had materialized. So, during times like this, when you don't have anything better to do with your time, because you're a bored adult who has outgrown television viewing, sucks at making long telephonic conversations and frets over insignificant things, browsing the Internet to preserve your sanity seems like a safe bet.

I'm quite an active user of Facebook. I joined the Facebook bandwagon in 2009 and ever since then, Facebook has found a fixture in my daily routine. What started off as a stint, by conforming to the rage, which Facebook very conspicuously was, later became a means to get my daily dose of personal updates on the lives of my Facebook friends, who can be categorized as curious relatives, acquaintances who became friends because of Facebook, stalkers, close friends and family, and random people you befriended only to increase your Friends list.

I have had various moments of contemplation in the last few years that I have been on Facebook, when it comes to how Facebook has impacted my perception of life and how it has resurrected my judgmental streak, despite all my attempts to subside it. And, after some serious thinking, I managed to enlist the various things that Facebook has put into perspective for me. The list goes as:

1) Adding words like "princess" and "angel" between your first and last names is not going to make you look any cooler than if you didn't add those words. The world can differentiate between a princess and a normal human.

2) Hitting "Like" and typing "Amen" every time you are conned into reaching out to an uncommonly ill person will not help the person get well any sooner. Facebook is not the means to cure all of the world's problems.

3) Checking "Other Messages" on Facebook is likely to inflate your ego. But, the self-pride slowly starts fading once you begin reading the content of the messages.

4) Getting over a hundred likes on a post does not, in any way, catapult one into the league of achievers and nor does it define you. So, just relax.

5) Candy Crush invites will be the major cause of World War 3. Like, seriously.

6) Posting "Hbd" on someone's wall, while wishing them on their birthday, would result in ignorance of the post just like a Candy Crush request.

7) Sharing your baby photos is the key to get you instant Facebook recognition and maximum likes. What are you waiting for, then? Go, reach out for the album.

8) Following a Humans of add a city's name is a mandate to stay socially relevant.

9) Changing your profile picture to a country's flag in a bid to show solidarity with the country that has been the victim of a terrorist attack will officially earn you the tag "dunce" and lead to serious judgement of your character.

10) You are not obligated to like your own post. It is understood that you approve of it or like it (not literally), since you are the one who has put it up there.

Facebook is one of those things for which you can rightly say "You can like it or hate it, but you simply cannot ignore it." To add to what I said, I have made it a point, this new year, to get myself to ignore all the pending friend requests from unknown people, even if that means not getting to boast to my friends about how I have some 70-odd pending friend requests. I WoULd AlSo LIke TO GivE A SPeCIAl sHOUtoUT tO aLL ThOse WhO WrITe CApTIons like "MaH LyF MaH RuLEs." 

No comments:

Post a Comment