Thursday 23 March 2017

One tight slap

It was a long, exasperating day! As I climbed up the stairs leading upto my house, my right calf was beginning to feel numb. "I exerted myself a bit too much, today," I thought for a fleeting moment. As I was about to enter my house, I was greeted by a dozen uninvited guests who were waiting for the door to open. These guests were regulars at my house. It was just another day when everyone at home exchanged helpless and disgusted glances upon seeing them. It was yet another day for my 8-year-old golden retriever, who rushed towards the main door just to turn around as soon as he sensed the guests' restlessness to get in. Despite trying every hack to look normal and retain my sanity, I was unable to keep myself from frowning.

Hunger was beckoning from a long time. With every passing minute, the noisy guests seemed to be losing their patience. The we-are-here-for-food guests looked like they had not eaten in ages. No sooner did I sit down to savor my cheese sandwich than the guests create a furore and started to hover around my chair to get a chance to satiate their hunger. On the one hand, if the young guests looked like amateurs who could barely fend for themselves, the older group members had a way with their actions and tricks, and seemed to be totally at ease with what was perceived of them. If the guests on my left were buzzing with excitement, the ones on my right grimaced and looked disgruntled as soon as they realized my reluctance to offer them what they were anxiously waiting for.

The cheese that was added to the sandwich was melted. Some of it had dripped out of the two slices of bread and settled on the outer crust of the bread slices. My first bite of the sandwich was exhilarating. As I went about relishing every bite of the soft, velvety sandwich, I sensed that I had dropped some of the cheese on the floor, but surprisingly, none of the guests looked interested in feasting on the cheesy meal. I tried all the possible ways to tire them out, which included extending my dinner session. Despite my persistent efforts to ruin their chances of meeting with success, when it came to being driven out of the house, the gang, which consisted of some vicious-looking members, had already decided to stick around till their purpose was served. It was 10 p.m. by the time I finished devouring my meal. My yawns ceased to stop. I had to be up by 6 a.m. the next day. It felt as if the guests' energy levels had got a fillip. They looked all gung-ho to defend anyone and everyone who tried to shoo them away. And I, for one, had given up on their not-so-discreet antics to gain attention. "I must no more waste my time tackling such insensitive beings," I thought to myself and switched off the lights in my room.

15 minutes into resting my droopy eyes,  I started tossing and turning in the bed. The room temperature was ideal for a sound sleep. I soon started to hear a faint buzzing sound. The sound became more intense as I opened my eyes. As someone who was not one bit amused to open my eyes to the unpleasant sound made by the young guests, I took no time in pulling aside my floral-print blanket. I immediately reached for the switchboard and turned on all the lights in my room. Wide awake, now, I realised that some of the guests had crept in my room. My focus soon shifted to the one who had already begun feasting on my blood. By now, there was already enough build-up of anger, fatigue, irritation, and restlessness to take a revenge. With all the physical force and mental power, I struck my right calf.  Bravo, I had finally managed to pin the big, fat enemy down! The sight of a bloody calf made me heave a sigh of relief. I felt like I had won a long-standing battle. And guess what, my numb right calf finally regained its sensation with that one tight slap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment